Venue? Check. Photographer? Check. Makeup Artist? Check?
Where does your “Bridal Beauty” fall within the checklist of the multitude of line items when planning your wedding?
Once your date is confirmed and you have booked the vendors critical to “your special day”, when do you start to prioritize yourself? Now. Now is when you prioritize yourself! Bridal beauty has taken a higher ranking on the wedding checklist for many brides. Beauty teams, artists, hairstylists etc. are now often booked up months in advance.
Where do you start?
Ask for referrals. If you are working with a wedding planner they should have a short list of recommended beauty vendors. If not, your photographer should definitely have some recommendations for you!
- Have you been in a wedding party where the makeup artist & hair stylist impressed you? Contact your friend and ask for their contact. Now you have a preview of what working with them might look like.
Have you joined a wedding planning website like theknot or weddingwire or borrowedandblue?
- Do your research. Read reviews. Start with well-reviewed beauty vendors. Do photos of their work echo your bridal beauty vision? What about their social media platforms? Does their Instagram page showcase their work?
- Send an inquiry message to see if they have your date available. Is their communication timely and professional? Consider booking a trial appointment as soon as possible.
Once you have a trial appointment scheduled with a potential beauty vendor start to source inspiration photos. Pinterest and Instagram are great platforms to gain inspiration for your bridal beauty. Be realistic. When saving your aspirational photos, ensure that the subject in the photos resembles you, your skin color, hair color, your eye color/ shape. If you are inspired by a photo of Kim Kardashian but don’t look anything like her, examine what part of her makeup you love and speak to your artist about ways to tailor that for you. During your trial SPEAK UP. Your vendor should create an environment of trust. They should seek your perspective and ask if you are happy or would like to change something.
Finally, a good artist should ask you for feedback. At the end of the day did the makeup last? Did the hairstyle hold up well? Was there anything you would change based on how you felt after wearing your look for several hours? Never be afraid to share feedback and your perspective!
Things to consider:
- Will they be able to work independently at the “getting ready” location? Do they need surfaces? chairs?
- Will your “getting ready” location accommodate 1) your entire party to hang out and relax 2) allow for space for your hair + beauty team to setup and begin their work?
These individuals and or team will be one of the first vendors you will surround yourself with on the morning of your wedding. You want to ensure the chemistry is right to help you feel confident, at ease ,and thrilled with how you look!
Testimonial from Celine:
“Brigid from Bronzed & Blushed is amazing!!!! Not only is she incredibly talented and will make you look and feel beautiful, but she is the sweetest!! Super accommodating, quick to respond to any e-mails, texts, etc., makes you feel completely at ease and really listens to what you want. I am so glad I booked with her! In addition, the spray tan looked amazing!! I was hesitant to do spray tanning but I am SO glad that I did. It gave me that perfect glow and looked completely natural! My bridesmaids, mom and mother-in-law also got their makeup done and everyone truly looked amazing!! I would highly recommend to all brides! Thank you so much Brigid!!!”
all photos courtesy from McBride Photo Design
This is a great post! We definitely love recommending makeup artists as soon as they book with us so they can lock in their date before someone else nabs it!
Plus, brides may want to check in with their photographers in case they want to schedule their makeup (and maybe hair) trial on the day they get their engagements session done! This makes spectacular, magazine-like pictures!
Plus since you’d be all made up, it will make a super nice excuse to go on a date after that! ❤
1 Comment on How to Select Your Bridal Beauty Team